Hong Kong – Chek Lap Kok International Airport – 22 SEP2017
Hong Kong Airlines HX236, an Airbus A330-343 with 174 passengers and 13 crew, aborted the takeoff roll at Hong Kong-Chek Lap Kok International Airport in a runway incursion incident involving a Boeing 747.
(All times are in UTC, Hong Kong local time is UTC+8 hours.)
1. At approximately 0048 hours on 22 September 2017, an Air Cargo Global Boeing
747-400 SF (Special Freighter) aircraft (Aircraft 1), registration mark OM-ACB,
arrived from Turkmenbashi and landed on Runway 07L at VHHH.
2. The pilot-in-command of Aircraft 1 was the “pilot flying” in the left hand seat and the
co-pilot was the “pilot monitoring” in the right hand seat.
3. After Aircraft 1 vacated Runway 07L, Ground Movement Controller (GMC) cleared
Aircraft 1 to taxi and hold at Taxiway J6 holding point which was one of the Runway
07R runway holding points normally for runway crossing.
4. At approximately 0054 hours, Air Movement Controller (AMC) issued the take-off
clearance to a Hong Kong Airlines Limited Airbus A330-300 aircraft (Aircraft 2),
registration mark B-LNS, which was a scheduled public transport flight intending to
depart from Hong Kong to Shanghai (Pudong) on Runway 07R.
5. The co-pilot of Aircraft 2 was the “pilot flying” in the right hand seat and the
pilot-in-command was the “pilot monitoring” in the left hand seat.
6. At the same time, Aircraft 1 was approaching Taxiway J6 holding point and contacted
GMC for further taxi instructions to the cargo apron which was on the other side of
Runway 07R. GMC then issued taxi instructions to Aircraft 1 to taxi from Taxiway
K to the assigned parking bay at the cargo apron. No clearance was issued to
Aircraft 1 to cross Runway 07R.
7. At approximately 0055 hours, Aircraft 2 was commencing take off roll on Runway
8. When the pilots of Aircraft 2 noticed that Aircraft 1 was entering Runway 07R, the
pilot-in-command aborted the take-off roll immediately and Aircraft 2 finally stopped
on Runway 07R abeam Taxiway K2. Aircraft 1 continued to cross Runway 07R.
9. At the same time, AMC instructed Aircraft 2 to stop immediately and provided traffic
information of Aircraft 1 to Aircraft 2.
10. According to the preliminary information, the closest distance of two involved aircraft
in the incident was about 1,100m. There was no structural damage to the involved
aircraft and no one was injured in the incident.
11. Subsequently, Aircraft 1 continued the taxiing to the assigned parking bay and
Aircraft 2 departed Hong Kong uneventfully a few minutes after the incident.
12. The meteorological aerodrome weather report for VHHH at 0100 hours indicated that
the wind was from 090 degree at 5 knots. The visibility was more than 10
kilometres and the runway condition was dry.
13. The Chief Inspector of Accidents ordered an investigation into the circumstances and
causes of the serious incident in accordance with the requirements of Annex 13 to the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The Aviation and Maritime
Investigation Authority of the Slovak Republic, representing the State of Registry and
the State of the Operator of Aircraft 1, the National Transportation Safety Board
(NTSB) of the United States representing the State of Design and the State of
Manufacture of Aircraft 1 and the Bureau d’Enquêtes et d’Analyses pour la sécurité
de l’aviation civile (BEA) of France representing the State of Design and the State of
Manufacture of Aircraft 2, have appointed Accredited Representatives to take part in
14. The investigation team conducted interviews with the AMC, GMC and flight crew of
both involved aircraft. Aircraft flight documents, maintenance records, flight data,
ATC radar and weather information were also collected for investigation purpose.
15. The investigation team is conducting detailed analysis of all the data and information
collected in order to determine the circumstances and causes of the incident. During
the course of the investigation, should any safety recommendation be necessary, it
will be promulgated immediately before the publication of investigation report.